Saturday, January 17, 2015

January Presents: Duck Lake

Forget Swan Lake, though it is graceful and full of talent. I had the pleasure of stumbling across a performance today that delighted and brought out the child in even the grumpiest and heaviest of hearts. One look and I couldn't help but smile. In fact, I couldn't keep that smile off my face. I was spending some time in one of my safe places in the city today. The day was full of errands, but when I find myself near this safe place I try to always visit and just take in the calm atmosphere. It's grounding and floods me with a sense of safety. But today Jesus had a surprise for me.

I looked out the big glass windows of my safe place (an indoor fountain in a bookstore) and caught sight of the pond outside. In warm months I often go outside to watch the ducks. There are little pellet dispensers near the water and families with small children frequent the place. Today the water had transformed into a solid mass of ice. I've been told my whole life that birds fly south for the winter, but the ducks were still there. They were ice skating on the pond! Well, more like slipping and sliding. It was so adorable! Little kids were throwing pellets and bits of bread to the ducks and the scramble for the food on the ice was so cute. Often wild animals are viewed as majestic, but just for a moment imagine a duck slipping backwards and falling on its behind.

After some observation I noticed that one duck in particular had discovered how to efficiently travel on the ice. I am not kidding, this duck was actually, legitimately skating. Whereas the other ducks were running and stumbling, slipping and sliding, he was calculated and graceful. I was inspired. Honestly, if I'd had the equipment I would have shot a video. Sometimes I'm a bit upset with myself that I've let shyness keep me from getting into podcasting and making videos. There are so many little moments that kindle that desire in me. I've had moments when I've pulled out a camera and hit record. Then I wrestle forever with the idea of uploading it online. I've been making progress with that lately, but I haven't gone public or really told anyone about it yet. Spoilers.

On a side note, just for fun. It makes me really happy that in the music video for Fifth Harmony's song, Sledgehammer, they have a man dancing with a sledgehammer!

That's all I have for this time! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment